Pages

Friday, May 4, 2012

The Ruby, Hindu Tradition

In the land of India, there was an old man, who gave all his possessions away to practice the wisdom of nonattachment. One morning as he was practicing his meditation in a small garden, his peacefulness was disturbed by a voice “Master, do you have something for me?” The holy man turned and saw a young man, dressed in rags and asked him “What is it that you’re looking for?” The young man quickly explained “Last night I had a dream that I met a holy man in a small garden, who gave me a precious jewel.” “Oh, yes. I almost forgot” said the Master. “I found this ruby and I don’t have any use for it.” The Master handed the stone to the peasant. The young man couldn’t understand how easy it was for somebody else to give it away. He spent the day admiring his treasure. However at night, he couldn’t sleep. What came to his mind in the morning surprised even him. The young man traveled back to the old man and handing the stone back said “I do not want this. I want what you know that made it so easy to give it away.”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment