Pages

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The Greatest Treasure, Chinese Folktale

In the land of China known for the greatest wall in the world, there were two very different men. One named Pang, who never had time for his kids, because he was busy making and counting his money. The other was Li, who was a poor farmer. Li worked hard cultivating his land, but whenever he had some spare time, he would play his flute. His five daughters loved singing and dancing creating another sound of music with their laughter.
 
The sound of the music and laughter would reach the rich man’s house making him angry. One day, he thought to himself “If Li had some money to count, then he wouldn’t have so much time to make so much noise.” So off he was to Li’s house carrying a large bag of coins. Surprised Li didn’t know what to make out of this, but he was very grateful for the gift.
 
As soon as Pang left, Li’s dilemma with money started. “What should I do with them?” he thought “I have to count them.” So he started counting the money. He counted once, twice and still wasn’t sure if he counted them right. The whole day went by and he hadn’t had time to play his flute.
 
The next day, another problem appeared. Now, Li thought “Where do I hide my money?” He paused “Maybe inside the stove. No, they can melt in the stove.” He paused again “Maybe in the cellar. No, somebody can easily find them there.” He paused again “Maybe I should drop them into the well” and that’s what he did. Another day has passed and Li hadn’t had time to take out his flute.
 
The following day, a new worry invaded Li’s mind. “How should I spend the money?” He thought “Maybe I should buy an ox or maybe a plow.” He couldn’t decide. He was thinking and thinking and then almost yelled to himself “Maybe I should buy six hens.” But then he was doing more thinking, and said “I should definitely buy myself a fine robe.” Suddenly, he laughed at himself “Where and when will I wear this robe?” So another day has gone and Li hadn’t had time to enjoy his flute.
 
A new day came and Li started worrying. “What if I counted the money wrong and there is less than I planned for.” He rushed to the well to retrieve the money and started counting them again. Meanwhile, the girls asked the father “Will you play the flute. We miss dancing and singing.” The father scolded the girls “Can’t you see I’m busy.” The father lost the count of the money, so he had to start over. But suddenly, he knew exactly what he had to do with the money “I must return them.” The father took out his flute and the air got filled again with singing and laughter.
 
Next day, Li returned the money. Now, Pang was surprised and didn’t know what to make out of this. Li also presented Pang with a hand-made gift. Pang was even more surprised to see flutes for him and his family. Along with Li’s family, the Pang’s family was making as much noise. It was unbearable for Pang “How will I count my money now?” Then Li said to Pang “Remember happiness is priceless.” Pang agreed and began to play the flute himself. Now the two very different men shared the greatest treasure of all – the happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment