Pages

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Young Mouse and Elephant, East African Folktale

Parts of the continent of Africa are characterized by small scattered trees surrounded by grasses, which is called savanna. Among those grasses of savanna, there once was a village with a very proud mouse.

One day while crunching on a straw of grass, the Young Mouse stated to his grandfather, “I feel so strong. I think I am the strongest mouse in the whole savanna.”

“You are very strong,” replied grandfather. “But I think the strongest animal on the plains is Elephant.”

“I don’t think so,” shouted Young Mouse. “Let me find that Elephant and we’ll see who the strongest animal is,” added the Mouse and trotted out of the village.

“I think the storm is coming,” said grandfather. “Come back soon.”

But the Mouse was already on his way to find the Elephant. While looking through the tall and short grasses, the Young Mouse stumbled upon some animal relaxing in the sun. “Who are you?” asked the Mouse.

“I’m a lizard,” replied the animal.

“You should consider yourself lucky,” said the Mouse. “If you were the Elephant I’m looking for, you already would be in pieces.”

A thunder appeared in the sky making lizard hide under some branches lying on the ground. The mouse felt very proud thinking he scared the lizard. The Young Mouse trotted with the head high in the sky beaming with pride. But all of a sudden he saw some animal above him. “Who are you?”

“I’m a zebra,” replied the animal.

“You should consider yourself lucky,” continued the Mouse. “If you were the Elephant I’m looking for, you already would be in pieces.” At the same time, some lightning appeared in the sky and scared the zebra away. The Mouse was almost trotting on its toe, he was so proud of himself.

“Everybody is afraid of me,” he thought to himself. Then Young Mouse saw some tall animal nibbling leaves. “Who are you?”

“I’m a giraffe,” replied the animal.

“You should consider yourself lucky,” said the Mouse. “If you were the Elephant I’m looking for, you already would be in pieces.” Instantly the sky got covered with a dark cloud and the giraffe ran to hide by some trees.

Other animals followed the giraffe into a hiding. The Mouse grinning thought to himself, “Everybody is afraid of me.” The Young Mouse trotted on, but it didn’t take long, when he saw a gigantic animal with two tales, one in the front and one in the back. “Who are you?”

The Elephant turned to the right, then to the left, but couldn’t see who was talking to him. Now, Young Mouse yelled, “Are you the Elephant?”

The Elephant stretched his eyes and ears, to see the little spot on the ground and to hear it better. “Yes, I’m the Elephant.”

“Well,” said the Mouse. “I’ve been trotting the plains of savanna looking for you.”

“And why is so?” asked Elephant.

“To confront you that I’m the strongest animal in savanna. How about that?” yelled the Mouse.

“How about this,” said Elephant filling its trunk with water and spraying it at the Mouse.

The Young Mouse got washed away some distance. When the Mouse woke up after the storm and saw the Elephant gone, he said, “Elephant should consider himself lucky. If the storm didn’t wash him away, then I would break him into pieces.”
 

No comments:

Post a Comment